After last week’s changes to Gold Subscriptions for EverQuest, EverQuest II, DCUO, PlanetSide 2, and All Access passes were announced, I was certain that regardless of how much player feedback came out against the changes, little would change.
After 6 years, I guess I can still be surprised by Sony Online Entertainment.
Just over 1 hour ago, SOE President John Smedley took to Reddit (once again bypassing the forums), to announce the restoration of the monthly 500SC stipend, AND some remarkable changes to All Access. This not only gives us back everything we asked for, but goes to the heart of solving the problems players had with these changes. We are fully cognisant of SOE’s issues with devalued StationCash, but the changes as announced last Friday were ham-handed at best. Today’s announcements make a lot more sense.
After the jump, John Smedley’s comments on Reddit…
Thanks for the feedback. We listened.
Here are the basics of our revised plan. Please note – we have not had the time to do estimates of the work involved, and also we’re continuing to listen. so this isn’t baked just yet. Do not expect that this is all going to happen immediately. We plain don’t know yet. we’re doing that meeting tmw.
1) We’re lowering the price of All Access to $14.99
2) We’re going to make it so every subscriber to all our PC games an all access member. Basically there will be one SOE membership for our PC games. Please note there are some minor restrictions around our kids titles (simply put – if you’re a 12 year old who signed up for FR you won’t have access to the adult games so we’ll likely leave the lower priced kids offerings as separate subscriptions for under 12 for the same low prices).
3) We’re keeping the 500 SC included with the subscription instead of going to the “pick an item” system. We heard you. You didn’t like the change. The only change we are making is that we’re now going to make you claim it monthly. You can still hoard it though I realize this is a bit of a pain but honestly it’s the best compromise we could come up with that solves the problems I mentioned in the other thread.
4) we are going to be giving our [Gold? -ed note] members a 10% discount in our marketplaces.
5) European players – we have an idea on how to include you in this but we need to discuss with our partners.We have a pretty good idea on this though. give us a bit of time to suss this out.
6) Nothing is changing with Player Studio items – you’ll still be able to buy them with your 500SC.
7) Console titles – you’ll notice I only mentioned the PC titles. Our goal is to include the PS3 and PS4 games that we have, but I want to be up front and say that isn’t a done deal.
In a nutshell that’s where our head is at.
As always your feedback is welcomed. Please do us a big favor and carefully think about #3. Our goal is to give you more value in the subscription to make it more attractive and making it simpler in the process.
I really feel like we’re making a good decision going this route. It makes things simpler and gives more value to our players.
Trackback from your site.