Update: This issue has now been resolved.
Having issues loading the non-streaming Altar of Malice Beta? You’re not alone. Starting about 6 hours ago people have been experiencing an error when trying to patch the non-streaming client for Beta.
Holly “Windstalker” Longdale just confirmed on Twitter that they are aware of the issue and are testing a fix. She’s also written this on the forums:
“True, true. Sorry folks. We are updating a lot of code to handle memory issues better. There were a few unexpected results…which were bad, obviously.”
If you can’t wait for the fix, the streaming client seems to work if you uncheck “Full Download”. You can get the streaming client here: http://launch.soe.com/installer/EQ2_Streaming_setup.exe
Update: Windstalker just posted this on Twitter:
Full Download patcher errors on Beta may not be fixed until tomorrow. We don’t want to interrupt players on server. Streaming works.
So if you want in before tomorrow, here’s the long version of one option for streaming.
Here’s the short version:
- Download this and run it: http://launch.soe.com/installer/EQ2_Streaming_setup.exe
- When it asks where to install it, add ” Streaming” to whatever it says and install it.
- When the launcher screen appears, change the version to Beta, uncheck Download Full and click Apply.
- While it’s downloading the 200mb or so, copy your Beta_charactername_eq2_uisettings.xml files from your normal EverQuest II\BetaServer folder to your new EverQuest II Streaming\BetaServer folder.
- When it’s finished downloading the 200mb or so, click Play.
- On the character select screen, wait til the little dragon stops running to make things a bit less laggy, then load whichever character you want to play.
Then, once all this is over and the regular version is working again, you can delete the entire EverQuest II Streaming folder and be back where you were before any of this happened.
There are of course other ways to do this, but this was the easiest for me. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. May cause shortness of breath, nervousness, and excess sweating. If any of these symptoms persist after the next patch, welcome to beta.