So if you've clicked on this article looking for a transcript of last month's Game Update 63: Skyshrine Part 1 webcast, we have a last minute change. This won't be a transcript but a summary. If this seems like bait-and-switch, realize that we tuned into the webcast to see:
- Holly "Windstalker" Longdale, EQ2 Senior Producer
- Akil "Lyndro" Hooper, EQ2 Lead Designer
- Dave "SmokeJumper" Georgeson, EverQuest Franchise Director of Development
and there was a slight change in the guest list to:
- Kyle "Kander" Vallee, Assistant Lead Designer
- Dave "SmokeJumper" Georgeson
After the jump, what we were able to take away from Kander and SmokeJumper in this first preview webcast about Part 2 of Velious, the first current-tier EQ2 Game Update since August 2011.
NOTE: We'll be back later today with notes from Skyshrine Webcast #2!
Game Update 63: Skyshrine Webcast #1 Notes
- Kander has worked for SOE for 11 years, and now has an office! After about 3 minutes, he was given a replacement microphone.
- SmokeJumper rehashing "Destiny of Velious was originally supposed to be two parts released as two different expansions. Part 1 of DoV would be Giants, Part 2 would be Dragons. Destiny of Velious completes the Age's End Prophecy.
- "Play Your Way" providing content for Solo and Heroic players as well as Raiders. In the past, Raiders have often gotten the big story arc, while other players got to see part of it but not the "flash" and "boom".
- Withered Lands is an overland zone with Solo, Heroic, and Raid content. So we're going back to having a mix of content in overland zones. In the recent past, we've kept overland zones to being solo only. Withered Lands was originally the Wakening Lands, but the population feels abandoned by Tunare.
- Skyshrine -- Parts of it are just like EQ1, but the predominant areas are now a forbidden city that has inhabitants that players have yet to meet. The city is under attack. (lots of hmming and haaing about spoilers and what they can't tell us)
- We've done something we've never done before, which is to create Challenge Heroic instances, as well as Solo Heroic instances which are balanced for either a really powerful solo character. Otherwise they're perfect for duoing with another player or a mercenary.
- With the requirement of 280 AAs and a level cap raise to 92, we have a better understanding of where everyone is with regards to power and ability, and we can better create content going forward. [In the past] we had a disparity between a casual soloer and the highest end raider with the wildly varying AAs and gear gap. There was no way to determine what content a level 90 character could handle just based on level. The level cap raise and 280 AA limit is a "reset switch".
- Prestige Classes? (maybe a mis-speak by Brasse)
After the Credits Sequence
- Skyshrine is inhabited by the Claws of Veeshan and are being invaded by the Legion of the Awakened who have been touched and inspired by Kerafym.
- Lots of dragons. Quests and interact with dragons and dragonkin.
- New flying mounts. New armor and weapon appearance sets.